The Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Reverend Mathew Kukah, is well known for his bluntness on national issues. His Christmas Day homily has pitched him against the Presidency and supporters of the regime.
Here are 7 things you should know about the fiery preacher:
1. Kukah is fluent in several Nigerian languages.
2. The Bishop was born in Kaduna State.
3. Speaking on the Oputa Panel, which he was a member of, he revealed that lots of people who had a case against the late Head of State, Sani Abacha, couldn’t prove their case.
4. He was a consultant to the Vatican for five years.
5. The cleric was the presidential facilitator who negotiated an end to
the hostilities between Shell Petroleum Development Company and
the Ogoni people.
6. He was responsible for the reconciliation between former Delta State
governor, Emmanuel Uduaghan and Prof. Patrick Utomi after months
of verbal attacks over the finances of the state.
7. He was formerly the Secretary-General of the Catholic Bishops’
Conference of Nigeria and Vicar General of the Archdiocese of
Kaduna until he was ordained as bishop on September 8, 2011.