At least 90 primary school pupils in a South African school have been hospitalised after they reportedly ate snacks suspected to be laced with cannabis.
The pupils, aged between six and 14 years were alleged to have purchased the laced snacks from a street vendor while on their way to school.
Teachers were reported to have observed strange behaviour from the pupils in class and immediately called emergency services for support.
The incident occurred in the Soshanguve township, north of Pretoria.
The pupils showed symptoms of nausea, stomach cramps, and vomiting.
Gauteng Education Member of the Executive Council, Matome Chiloane, expressed his concern and said that investigations were ongoing.
Chiloane implored the parents to remain calm as investigations are ongoing, adding that pupils should be watchful of what they buy, who they buy from, and what they consume.
“We implore learners to be vigilant of what they purchase and consume and be cautious of who they purchase food from. We wish all affected learners speedy recovery,” he said.
The police operatives have been alerted to identify the suspected vendor while an investigation is ongoing.