News
  • FaceBook
  • Twitter
  • Pin It
  • Linkedin
  • Buffer
  • WhatsApp

Abakaliki building collapse: All victims safe – Ebonyi Govt, Police

The Ebonyi State Government and the Police have confirmed that all victims of the collapsed building incident which occurred in Abakaliki, the state capital on Tuesday, are safe.

Pile of concrete in front of partially demolished house. Focus on foreground.

According to the report, the three-storey building under construction is owned by a member of the Ebonyi House of Assembly, Mr Oluchukwu Ezeali.

The Commissioner for Capital City and Urban Planning, Sunday Inyima, told newsmen on Wednesday that two construction workers trapped in the building’s rubble had been rescued.

Inyima said that four other construction workers at the site successfully escaped when the building collapsed.

“We went to the hospital with the four workers to see the two rescued victims and they confirmed that the workers worked with them on the site.

“We are happy that all the workers are alive and we can presently face technical matters,” he said.

The commissioner assured the public that the matter would be thoroughly investigated to serve as deterrent to others.

“We call on the owner of the building to present himself to security agencies for investigations.

“I spoke with him and he promised to bring the site workers and the supervising engineer to the ministry but he has only brought the workers,” he said.

The commissioner noted that the building was not approved by the Ministry as the owner was advised not to erect a high rise building in the area.

“The building was situated at Udensi/ Nnodo low-cost housing estate of Abakaliki and only bungalows were approved for the area.

“The owner ignored the advice and according to information in his records, he was constructing a three-storey building.

“He did not obtain a building approval as whatever he did concerning the structure was illegal,” he said.

The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Joshua Ukandu, also confirmed that the two trapped victims were responding to treatment at the Alex Ekwueme Federal Teaching Hospital.

“The divisional police officer in charge of the area is on top of the situation and can confirm that the victims are responding to treatment,” he said

Anambra man of the year awardAnambra man of the year award
  • FaceBook
  • Twitter
  • Pin It
  • Linkedin
  • Buffer
  • WhatsApp

Comments are closed.

Welcome Visitor

It's your right to block ads. After all, it's your browser.

But it's also our right to protect the integrity of our published product.

I've disabled my ad blocker. Let's get on with it!