Ijeoma Chinonyerem made a great investigation into the viral d£ath of Ugochukwu Okpani…
This guy’s death trended last week. He made a post that he got a scholarship to do his masters on international relations in the UK. He was congratulated and everyone was happy. Then a night to his relocation, he died in his hometown Afikpo, in Ebonyi state.
Ijeoma followed up with the case and discovered the following:
1. They found out that this guy that posted he got a masters scholarship in a UK university dropped out of UNIZIK. He doesn’t even have a Bsc to begin with. So how did he magically get a masters scholarship without a Bsc degree?
2. The school he claimed gave him the scholarship on international relations doesn’t even offer that course in Msc.
3. People reached out to the school and they said his name is not in their database and they have no affiliations with him.
4. He claimed he was moving abroad a day before he died but he was still in Afikpo that night he was supposed to leave. How can you be moving abroad on 13th yet on the night of 12th, you are still in your village?
5. He never booked flight to Lagos or Abuja cos those are the 2 places you go follow comot Nigeria.
6. He never booked any flight abroad whatsoever. No flight to the UK, US, anywhere. Not even packed a single bag for his so-called trip.
7. He had not one single travel document. Not even an international passport. So how was he supposed to travel?
8. No celebration party was thrown for him. Yet people made it seem like his friends poisoned him.
This man came on social media platforms to make posts about getting a scholarship to study abroad and give his travel date. Went to bed, woke up complaining of stomach ache and died. People say it was sniper.
Doesn’t that point to swicide? Especially since according to his family, nobody visited him and he didn’t hang out the night before.
But no. It’s more sensational to trend the story that his friends kieled him out of jealousy.
Hopefully, Nigerians would start doing autopsy one day.
Personally, I think this was carefully orchestrated by him. He intentionally wanted to set up his friends for his swicide.
Maybe his lies caught up with him and he had to end it all or maybe the lies were a part of his swicide plan. We don’t know. But It’s one thing to unalive yourself. It’s another thing to do it in such a way that it would look like a murda.
The sad part is that most of the people who read that story will run with it without knowing there are layers to it.
Even sadder is that people who were his friends would always be looked at with suspicion.
Only a man would think of using his own swicide to set up his friends/loved ones for murder.
The irony of making it look like his friends were the horrible people when actually, the reverse is the case.
Note: the above opinions are those of Ijeoma Chinonyerem who made the investigation.