Sadiya Umar Farouq In Egypt, Medically Unfit To Appear In Court – Counsel – Igbere TV
News
  • FaceBook
  • Twitter
  • Pin It
  • Linkedin
  • Buffer
  • WhatsApp

Sadiya Umar Farouq In Egypt, Medically Unfit To Appear In Court - Counsel

Oladipo Okpesheyi, the counsel to Sadiya Umar Farouq, the former minister of humanitarian affairs and social development, says his client is currently in Egypt and medically unfit to appear before the court.

Faruoq and Bashir Nura Alkali, a permanent secretary in the ministry, alongside one Sani Mohammed, are facing a 21-count charge bordering on breach of trust and abuse of office, as filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The commission had alleged that the former minister and the co-defendants misappropriated about $1.3 million and N746.6 million.

The EFCC filed the charges before the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) high court in Apo.

In April, the court issued an arrest warrant for Farouq and Alkali, while the EFCC recently declared the former minister wanted for alleged abuse of office and diversion of public funds.

MONDAY’S PROCEEDINGS

At the resumed hearing on Monday, Rotimi Jacobs, senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and EFCC’s counsel, told the court that the matter was for arraignment.

Jacobs said he observed that the first defendant, Farouq, was absent in court without any reason.

“My lord, we were here on April 16, 2026, when your lordship granted us a bench warrant to arrest the first defendant,” Jacobs was quoted in a statement by the EFCC.

“It was because of that; the second defendant immediately approached the Commission and surrendered himself in obedience to your lordship’s order.

“We urge your lordship to remove the bench warrant from the second defendant as we will be applying that the bench warrant for the first defendant be sustained.”

The prosecution counsel told the court that Okpesheyi had previously pleaded and said he would produce the first defendant in one month.

Jude Onwuegbuzie, the presiding judge, asked the counsel to the former minister to state why his client was not in court.

Okpesheyi said he was informed last night that the former minister was battling health issues in Egypt and would not be fit to appear in court until two months from now.

“My lord, she is in Egypt. I learnt that her doctor said she is not medically fit to appear today. There is a medical report I received on my phone last night that she is in the hospital on doctor’s advice in Egypt,” the counsel said.

“She will need about two months to recover before she can come. We will be humbly asking for an adjournment.”

The judge criticised the delay tactics and threatened to take further action if she fails to submit herself at the next proceedings.

Onwuegbuzie held that the arrest warrant against the first defendant remained active and adjourned the matter till June 8, 2026, for arraignment.

Man of the year award
  • FaceBook
  • Twitter
  • Pin It
  • Linkedin
  • Buffer
  • WhatsApp

Please give us your valuable comment

Your email address will not be published.

*

Welcome Visitor

It's your right to block ads. After all, it's your browser.

But it's also our right to protect the integrity of our published product.

I've disabled my ad blocker. Let's get on with it!