News
  • FaceBook
  • Twitter
  • Pin It
  • Linkedin
  • Buffer
  • WhatsApp

FG Orders Contractor Back To Eleme-Onne East-West Road Construction Site

The Federal Government has reversed its directive suspending the ongoing reconstruction work at the Eleme-Onne section of the East-West Road in Rivers State.

It also directed the affected contractor, Renolds Construction Company, to immediately resume work on all sections of the project and in strict compliance with the contract specifications.

Earlier on Sunday, the Minister of Works, David Umahi, during an unscheduled visit to the project site expressed sadness over the slow pace of work even after the government had made an advance payment of N33bn.

Umahi said the order became imperative following the use of sub-standard materials by the contractor handling the project.

But the new directive contained in a statement signed by the minister’s Special Adviser on Media, Orji Uchenna, on Monday, said the minister has rescinded its decision following a meeting with the Permanent Secretary and key Directors of the Ministry at the ministry headquarters in Abuja.

The statement read, “The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has directed Mrss Renolds Construction Company RCC, Nigeria Limited to immediately resume work on the 15 km Eleme to Onne Junction on the East-West Road, Rivers State which he suspended during his unscheduled inspection visit to the project site on 27th January 2024, due to observed infractions on the [b]construction specifications.

“This directive is in accordance with the resolutions reached in a meeting with the Permanent Secretary and key Directors of the Ministry together with the management of RCC Ltd at his office at the Federal Ministry of Works, Mabushi- Abuja, this 29th January 2024. The Honourable Minister had ordered the suspension of work on the project due to substandard jobs and invited the management of the company to report to the Ministry for resolution of technical issues.

“The minister further directs the contractors handling the project to resume work on the four sections of the project and in strict compliance with the contract specifications. They are also required to liaise with the Permanent Secretary and the Director in charge of construction to engage with the representatives of the host communities on issues bothering alleged infringement on the contractors’ right of way which, according to them slows down the project.

“The Minister of Works is determined to see to the speedy and quality delivery of Federal Government’s jobs across the nation in line with the vision of the current administration and he is unbending in his resolve not to accept the delivery of jobs that fall short of standard.”

Anambra man of the year awardAnambra man of the year award
  • FaceBook
  • Twitter
  • Pin It
  • Linkedin
  • Buffer
  • WhatsApp

Comments are closed.

Welcome Visitor

It's your right to block ads. After all, it's your browser.

But it's also our right to protect the integrity of our published product.

I've disabled my ad blocker. Let's get on with it!