The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Barr. Festus Keyamo, on Tuesday, said the processes of recruiting 774,000 Nigerians across the 774 local government areas for the 774,000 federal government job has not been suspended.
Barr. Keyamo stated this in a statement made available to Igbere TV, in reaction to the alleged suspension of the FG programme under the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) by the National Assembly, following his disagreement with them.
The minister was earlier in the day walked out of a meeting with the lawmakers, who had invited him to give details of the special public works programme, which aims to engage and pay 774,000 unskilled youths N20,000 for three months.
But in the statement, Barr. Keyamo said the National Assembly lacks the power to suspend the said programme. He accused the lawmakers of wanting to dictate and control the programme, saying he would rather quit the job than compromise.
He, therefore, directed all the Selection Committees across the 36 States of the federation inaugurated on Monday, for the 774,000 jobs, to proceed with their work unhindered, saying “only Mr. President (Buhari) can stop their work.”