IgbereTV reports that the kidnappers of the Ekiti State Commissioner for Agriculture, Mr Folorunso Olabode, have contacted the family and demaned for N30 million ransom.
According to IgbereTV reports, Olabode was kidnapped by unknown gunmen on Sunday evening, April 26, along Isan-Iludun road at Ilejemeje local government area.
During the kidnap, a councillor in his car, Olatunji Omotosho, was shot dead, while the commissioner was kidnapped alongside another occupant in the car, a woman.
The commissioner was said to have been travelling from Ado-Ekiti to his hometown when his vehicle was ambushed at a bad spot along the road.
A family source told journalists in Ado- Ekiti on Monday that the kidnappers have called to demand N30 million before the commissioner can be released.
The source said, “The entire Iye-Ekiti is troubled now, we are worried and we have started negotiation with the abductors. We pray they release him safe and sound.
“We don’t want to lose such an illustrious son and we are begging the state governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi and all the security agencies of government to do all within their powers to rescue him alive.”
The Police Public Relations Officer, Ekiti Command, Mr Sunday Abutu, said the police and other security networks are combing the forests where bandits keep their victims hostage. He also stated that the police is unaware of any negotiation on the demand made by the abductors. He assured that every security measures would be put in place to ensure Olabode’s release.
“We are not aware that the bandits are requesting for any ransom, we have not been told. The police have begun serious security checks in that axis and that might be responsible for why the people said the road had been closed.
“We only took strict security measures,” Abutu said.