Super Eagles’ Match Against DR Congo Still Holds Despite Ebola Outbreak

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), says the Super Eagles friendly match against the Leopards of DR Congo, slated for Port Harcourt, Rivers State on May 28 will still hold despite Federal Government anxiety over the recent outbreak of Ebola virus disease in the east African country.

There have been reports of confirm cases of death in DR Congo resulting from Ebola outbreak, which has created panic in Nigeria over the past few days. The minister of Health, Professor Isaac Adewole, said during the week that his ministry would be screening in-coming passengers, particularly those from DR Congo.

“We want to assure Nigerians that the Federal Government is concerned about the outbreak of Ebola and will do everything possible to keep the country safe,” the minister said.

However, President of NFF, Amaju Pinnick, told The Guardian yesterday that all modalities for the friendly encounter with DR Congo had been concluded, saying that Eagles will go ahead with the match despite the Ebola scare.

Also speaking with The Guardian on the Ebola outbreak yesterday, Super Eagles Media Officer, Toyin Ibitoye, stressed that there was no need to panic over the Ebola scare.

“The friendly against DR Congo will still hold. We have not got any information that any of the players listed for the game is having the disease. Everybody will be tested at the point of entry into the country. Adequate arrangements have been put in place for the game. Ebola scare in DR Congo will not in any way affect the friendly game,” he said.

Ibitoye also disclosed that Super Eagles manager, Gernot Rohr, will release the Russia 2018 World Cup provisional list on Monday (May 14), adding that the build up to the championship would commence immediately

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse
 CLICK PLAY TO WATCH

Comments